Monday, February 23, 2009

Recipe: Cheddar Apple Soup; Cajun Turkey Pita


Yep! I'm still on a soup kick. This soup recipe is originally from the Better Homes And Gardens magazine (October 2007) but I saw it this morning on another blog and decided to give it a try. It was good, but not soup-y enough for me. It was more like a side dish that would go great with a honey ham around Christmas time. It's still a keeper, but will probably only make this once a year or so. In my opinion, the title should be called Cheddar Potato Soup because it was mostly potato with a little bit of an apple taste. VERY FILLING! I could hardly even eat half of what was in my bowl.

My sandwich:
Half of a toasted whole wheat pita
Cajun Turkey {Thinly sliced from the Walmart Deli}
spoonful of Avacado
sprouts
2 slices of "lean" bacon {Oscar Meyer's Center Cut Bacon- 20 calories a slice}
Honey Dijon mustard

Ingredients for Cheddar Apple Soup

















2 medium baking potatoes, peeled and diced
2 c. apple cider {I use apple juice and just added a little spice-dash nutmeg,clove,
1 t. fresh thyme, crushed
1/2 t. salt>
dash cayenne pepper> {I omitted salt and cayenne and used Tony Chachere's.}
1 medium cooking apple, peeled and coarsely chopped
1/2 c. milk
2 T. flour
1 c. Sharp cheddar, shredded

Garnish:
Fresh apple slices
Green peppercorns
(And I shredded a little extra cheddar in my bowl)


In large saucepan cook onion in butter over medium heat until tender (cover pot but stir and check often).
Meanwhile peel and dice the potatoes, and measure out the cider, seasoning, and thyme.
When onions are soft stir in potatoes, cider, thyme, and seasoning.
Bring to boil. Reduce heat. Simmer covered for 15-20 minutes until potatoes start to get soft.

Add chopped apple; simmer, covered 5 minutes or until potatoes are tender.
In small bowl whisk together milk and flour; stir into soup.
Cook and stir until bubbly. Slowly add cheese, whisking until melted.
Garnish with fresh apples slices and peppercorns.

No comments:

Post a Comment