Sunday, February 22, 2009

The elephant and the mouse.

2nd Corinthians Chapter 10 Verses 4-64 (For the weapons of our warfare are not carnal, but mighty through God to the pulling down of strong holds;)

5 Casting down imaginations, and every high thing that exalts itself against the knowledge of God, and bringing into captivity every thought to the obedience of Christ; 6 And having in a readiness to revenge all disobedience, when your obedience is fulfilled.


i·mag·i·na·tions (-mj-nshn) n. a. The formation of a mental image of something that is neither perceived as real nor present to the senses.b. The mental image so formed.c. The ability or tendency to form such images.
a. An unrealistic idea or notion; a fancy.
b. A plan or scheme.


This scripture speaks to me in different ways. When I was younger it helped to remind me not to let impure imaginations run wild in my mind. Now it speaks to me in a different way. God's word is alive and does speak to us if we are willing to hear. Even though this particular scripture is talking about something different than what I am about to write about, it does speak to my personal life about casting down my own vain imaginations...not only against God's word, but against people in general.


This scripture reminds me to not let what others say get blown out of context and allowing it to become distorted. I think women struggle with this more than men do because we are usually more in tune with "reading between the lines." While this is a God-given gift to be intuitive, we shouldn't let it get out of control. I think God is warning us that if we let our imaginations run wild with these "unrealistic ideas or notions" that we are actually in disobedience to him by letting these thoughts exalt themselves against Him. When I think of something exalting itself against God, I think of Pride. I think of when the angel, Lucifer, thought he was better than God and was cast out of heaven. He tried to exalt himself against the Lord...and look what he is now...the epitomy of evil, Satan himself.

This is a very strong warning that I don't think we take serious enough. If someone says something, we should take it to mean what they say!!! We shouldn't let insecurity take over and twist it around just to appease our minds! Why would we do this? Because sometimes we get this "feeling" that someone thinks a certain way about us and when they start talking we automatically look for something that they say or do to confirm that in our minds. Again, I think women are the WORST for doing this. God is warning us to say what we mean, mean what we say, and take what others are saying as meaning simply that. There is absolutely no way for us to be able to tell what others are really thinking or going through unless they tell us themselves.

No comments:

Post a Comment